Libya’s Eastern Strongman Advises Soldiers ‘Eliminate’ Turkish Forces

Eastern Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar has actually gotten in touch with his fighters to “drive out” Turkish forces backing the UN-recognised government, as talks drag out to end long-running war in the oil-rich nation.

” There will be no peace in the presence of a coloniser on our land,” Haftar said, in a speech to mark Libya’s 69th anniversary of its independence on Thursday.

” We will therefore take up arms again to fashion our peace with our own hands … and, since Turkey rejects peace and go with war, prepare to eliminate the occupier by faith, will and weapons,” Haftar stated.

Libya was thrown into chaos after a 2011 NATO-backed uprising fell and resulted in the killing of long-time totalitarian Moamer Kadhafi.

Libyan fighters faithful to eastern strongman Khalifa Haftar fire weapons throughout a funeral service of an associate in November 1, 2020; Haftar has actually prompted his soldiers ‘eliminate’ Turkish forces AFP/ Abdullah DOMA

Wracked by violence since then, the North African country has become a battlefield for tribal militias, jihadists and mercenaries and a major entrance for desperate migrants bound for Europe.

2 competing camps now vie for power, with Khaftar’s eastern-based administration pitted against the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), identified by the United Nations and backed by Ankara.

Turkey’s aid with military advisers, materiel and mercenaries assisted the GNA push back Haftar’s forces from evictions of Tripoli earlier this year.

Haftar, who is backed by Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Russia, spoke after Ankara’s parliament this week embraced a movement extending the implementation of soldiers in Libya by 18 months.

In the Libyan capital Tripoli, under the control of the Turkish-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), soldiers opposed to Haftar progressed Thursday to mark Libya’s 69th anniversary of its self-reliance AFP/ Mahmud TURKIA

” Officers and soldiers, prepare”, Haftar said Thursday, calling out to numerous soldiers on parade in a military barracks in the eastern port city of Benghazi.

At the same time, the GNA-head in Tripoli, Fayez al-Sarraj, gotten in touch with Libyans to “turn the page on arguments to attain stability”.

This will only occur through “uniformity in between political forces”, he stated.

A ceasefire checked in October under the aegis of the UN, and usually respected, has permitted the rival celebrations to return to the negotiating table.

Sarraj stated elections slated for December 24, 2021 were a “historic opportunity that must not be missed out on”.

But analysts were less positive and cautioned of hard challenges ahead.

” The October 23 ceasefire agreement silenced the guns, but otherwise is a dead letter: both sides have backtracked on satisfying its terms and rather continue to develop their military forces,” the International Crisis Group (ICG) said.

” Neither side appears keen to implement its commitments and both seem figured out to dig in even more.”

Check Also

‘It’s All We Have’: The Predicament Of S.Africa’s Informal Miners

Darkness enveloped an obsolete mine in South Africa’s Mpumalanga province as a pick-up truck left …